"Comparison is the thief of joy." -Theodore Roosevelt
I think it's really easy to know that cognitively, and less easy to live that in reality. It can be really difficult when you see someone doing something well that you really want to do.
"Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11
Yesterday I saw a girl on my instagram feed with thousands of followers post a copy of her finished manuscript. Well, I'm not going to buy that book, it's probably not even any good.
Yeah. Those were my ugly thoughts.
It's so easy to believe in scarcity even when we are promised abundance. It's easy to believe that the better she is at writing the less room there is for me to be good. The more dreams someone else has come true the less chance mine have of coming true.
But that's bologna. (I just sang the song to spell that word. )
God's economy doesn't work like that. My dreams might not ever come true, but God has a funny way of using people who want to glorify him to do just that.
I've only found two good ways to squash that comparison bug.
1. Pray for your people. Praying for them reminds you that they are people too, it shapes you hearts and gives you vision to see them the way God sees them.
2. Support people. Turns out, every single time I have set my jealousy aside to support a sister or brother, I have found something awesome.
More often than not, I find myself inspired by someone else's work. The discouragement of comparison can bring our work to a grinding halt, but the inspiration of building up forces us all to climb together.
So each month I'm going to do a giveaway because there are some people doing, making, and writing some amazing things.
1. Queenie's Headband in Maui: It's not a big secret that I love these things and I wear them everyday. It's almost summer, and trust me, you are going to want to have this when you head from the pool to a barbecue. Kelsey makes beautiful, quality headbands and you can't get this kind of stuff just anywhere!
But even more fun? Kelsey has offered 20% off for readers this week! Enter KaylieHodges20 when you check out! (I recommend some mommy and me headbands because my baby girls love them as much as I do!
2. $25 Gift Card for Riley Clay Designs: I'm addicted to my Riley Clay shirts, and judging by how many of you have asked me where I got my "Jesus Saves, Bro" shirt and my "Wanderer" shirt, you like them too! Now is your chance! Riley Clay describes themselves as just a small group of people stoked about Jesus. Me too, y'all, me too.
3. Savor by Shauna Niequiest: This has been sold out on Amazon since the day it released, until yesterday! Just so happens I have a copy of this amazing devotional book. It is beautiful inside and out and as usual, Shauna's words never fail to move me!
So tell me what your favorite weekend activity is below in the comments to enter. For an addition two entries you can share this post on Facebook and Pinterest and come back here and leave another comment for each! One winner will be selected and contacted on Friday!
Don't forget to head over to Queenie's to use your discount code this week. KaylieHodges 20!
***This giveaway is now closed! Don't miss any upcoming giveaways, enter your email to subscribe!***